Position Details: Grocery Department Assistant Manager
Assistant Grocery Manager Job Description
Purpose: The Assistant Grocery Manager supports the Grocery Manager in the daily operations of the Grocery department including setting daily priorities and long-term strategy. Coordinates receiving and stocking procedures, assists in directing grocery staff, and places assigned product orders. Fulfills management duties in absence of Grocery Manager.
Status: Full Time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Reports to: Grocery Manager
Supervises: No direct reports
Works closely with: Grocery staff
- Ensure a welcoming store environment that reflects the Co-op’s values and purpose through supporting and advancing existing procedures and policies.
- Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Ensure that all team members are customer focused and are demonstrating excellent customer service at all times.
- Role model friendly, engaged customer service for staff and provide excellent internal service to staff and peers.
- Be responsible for understanding and practicing the guidelines in our Customer Service Training Packet and the Zingerman’s customer service videos.
- Explain store policies and procedures clearly, completely and concisely to all customers.
- Answer and route phone calls, take and route messages as needed.
- Uphold security procedures including theft, disorderly customers, robberies, emergencies, proper opening and closing procedures.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, complaints to the Management Team.
- Works closely with the Grocery Manager to determine Grocery Departments’ daily priorities; adheres to store policies, procedures, and safety standards.
- Directs, delegates, trains, leads and works with stockers to ensure all coolers, shelves, end caps, and other displays are properly stocked, rotated, labeled, and faced following department standards and according to priorities set by the Grocery Manager
- Fulfills management duties in the absence of Grocery Manager
Purchasing, Receiving, & Inventory
- Maintains and organizes store’s product inventory and storage to ensure smooth, efficient receiving, storage and flow of goods from the stockroom to the retail floor
- Maintains receiving and back stock areas for cleanliness, organization, and safety
- Takes ownership of individual product departments assigned by Grocery Manager
- With Grocery Manager, facilitate coordination of Grocery staff to cover all required stocking duties.
- Ensure merchandise is received and rotated according to established procedures, properly disposing of unsellable items, keeping accurate shrinkage records, and routing paperwork properly.
Merchandising & Promotions
- Assist in maintaining department shelf sets, promotional, and cross-merchandising displays to meet sales goals
- With grocery manager, facilitate a team approach to grocery merchandising to plan ongoing and seasonal displays; coordinate with other departments when appropriate.
- Coordinates with Facilities Manager to ensure proper functioning and maintenance of equipment.
- Schedules regular cleanings/organization of all work areas, including backroom, product shelving, displays, coolers, etc.
- High School diploma and at least 2 years experience in a grocery/retail environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a team while being able to work independently without constant supervision and direction.
- Familiarity with natural and organic foods
- Proficiency in using email, MS Office products (or equivalent), web-based applications and POS systems.
- Must have flexible availability for early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays to align with store needs.
- Capacity to adapt readily based on evolving co-op needs or in response to feedback.
- Must be detail-oriented, possess strong leadership skills and take initiative to complete tasks.
- Strong decision making, interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
- Demonstrate ability to set goals and follow through
- Able to coordinate, delegate, and prioritize and problem-solve for self and others.