Position Details: Grocery Department Manager
Grocery Manager Job Description
The Grocery Manager is responsible for daily operations in the grocery department, direct supervision of grocery staff, and the attainment of positive operating results, including department labor, sales, inventory, shrink, and margins. The Grocery Manager supports the grocery team by overseeing top quality product selection and merchandising in accordance with Co-op member/owner and customer needs.
Status: Full Time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Reports to: Operations Manager
Supervises: All grocery staff
Works closely with: Operations Manager, department managers
- Ensure a welcoming store environment that reflects the Co-op’s values and purpose through supporting and advancing existing procedures and policies.
- Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Ensure that all team members are customer focused and are demonstrating excellent customer service at all times.
- Role model friendly, engaged customer service for staff and provide excellent internal service to staff and peers.
- Be responsible for understanding and practicing the guidelines in our Customer Service Training Packet and the Zingerman’s customer service videos.
- Explain store policies and procedures clearly, completely and concisely to all customers.
- Answer and route phone calls, take and route messages as needed.
- Uphold security procedures including theft, disorderly customers, emergencies, proper opening and closing procedures.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, complaints to the Management Team.
- Hire qualified applicants following established policy.
- Ensure adequate training for all staff, including onboarding new hires and ongoing training for department staff. Develop, improve, and implement department training systems and materials.
- Promote a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative workplace environment by working side-by-side with staff; reinforce procedures and practices through repetition; lead by example and provide on-going feedback.
- Manage and coach staff performance according to policy and established procedure, including regular staff check-ins and annual performance evaluations. Address performance and personnel issues in a timely manner.
- Understand, interpret, and implement personnel policies accurately and consistently.
- Write and manage the grocery department’s staffing schedule to ensure adequate coverage, including planned and unplanned staff absences, in accordance with budgeted labor requirements.
- Approve weekly time cards for Grocery staff according to established procedure; keep attendance reports up-to-date; ensure staff are in compliance with Attendance Policy.
- Coordinate grocery department staff’s PTO and schedule change requests.
- Conduct regular department meetings and keep records of those meetings.
- Work with other managers in a professional manner to strengthen professional relationships and to help the co-op to succeed as a business.
- Work toward department financial objectives by monitoring product pricing and managing labor hours, sales, margins, and shrink within budget parameters.
- Work with Operations Mananger and purchasing staff to develop, implement, and maintain a pricing strategy that supports the Co-op’s strategic goals, competes effectively, and achieves the Co-op’s margin and sales goals.
- Maximizes department sales and profits.
- Prepare for and participates in quarterly and yearly inventory counts.
Purchasing, Receiving, & Inventory
- Through own initiative and in collaboration with grocery team, responsible for category management to identify appropriate product mix to achieve sales and margin goals and satisfy customer demand emphasizing local, organic, sustainable products.
- Oversee daily ordering and receiving processes to ensure adequate stock levels and inventory controls.
- Maintain vendor relationships, negotiate favorable prices, terms, and delivery schedules.
- Ensure that guidelines for purchasing and product selection are followed.
- Facilitate coordination of Grocery staff to cover all required stocking duties.
- Ensure merchandise is received and rotated according to established procedures, properly disposing of unsellable items, keeping accurate shrinkage records, and routing paperwork properly.
Merchandising & Promotions
- Through own initiative and through department assistant manager, responsible for maintenance of center store (dry grocery, bulk items and bread), frozen, perishable and dairy departments in a clean, attractive manner.
- Overall responsibility for managing in-house and third-party product promotions programs.
- Act as Promotions Liaison to NCG. Responsible for management of Co+op Deals, Co+op Basics, Core Sets, and other NCG purchasing and merchandising programs.
- Facilitate a team approach to grocery merchandising to plan ongoing and seasonal displays; coordinate with other departments when appropriate.
- Coordinates with Facilities Manager to ensure proper functioning and maintenance of equipment.
- Schedules regular cleanings/organization of all work areas, including backroom, product shelving, displays, coolers, etc.
- High School diploma and at least 2 years experience in a grocery/retail environment.
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, management staff and customers in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Excellent leadership skills with demonstrated abilities to resolve problems and to understand and support the importance of structure, organization, policies and procedures.
- Must utilize multi-tasking, teamwork, creativity, customer service, discretion, mentoring, problem analysis, and training/supervising skills on a frequent to continual basis.
- Familiarity with natural and organic foods
- Proficiency in using email, MS Office products (or equivalent), web-based applications and POS systems.
- Facility with financial statements and reporting
- Must have flexible availability for early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays to align with store needs.
- Capacity to adapt readily based on evolving co-op needs or in response to feedback.
Must be detail-oriented, possess strong leadership skills and take initiative to complete tasks.